Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Plants keep dying! Established tank, what's going on?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Plants keep dying! Established tank, what's going on?

Hello everyone I'm a new member. I'm not exactly experienced but i have a run with several different fish for about 7 years now and I've got a 55 with new world cichlids and a 20 gallon with platys tetras and two young angelfish who I'm growing out. My fish aren't really classified as plant eaters and my cichlids in the 55 don't rummage through the gravel much and don't disturb the fake plants. I've tried to keep vals but they broke apart and melted, then I had some java moss but it all browned, and I had recently gotten an amazon sword which is melting and it grows new little leaves but they just never get big. I haven't done nitrate/ nitrite/ammonia tests for several months because I've figured out my nitrates get high only by the end of the months and I clean them every week. I've had both tanks for over two years, and both have strong led lights, the 20 gallon much more so than the 55. My pH is right at 7 if not slightly softer and my water goes through RO. I don't know how to test for micronutrients but I read all these descriptions of val, sword, java moss, and other easy plant care and they say strong lighting and fertilizer isn't required. I like my fake plants but I REALLY want a full out planted tank for my 20 as the bright light gets algae growth and I'd love to have some vals and java fern in the 50. I need some help with this plant situation! Thanks!

What kind of substrate are you using? Plants like nitrates so that shouldn't be an issue. What about co2?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    240g FOWLR - complete!, WIP 125g reef/inverts, WIP 30g/20g mantis.

Comment

Re: Plants keep dying! Established tank, what's going on?

Research mineralized top soil I used a 50lb bag in my tank, the rest is 3-4 inches of ecocomplete I don't use co2 or any fertilizers.
      “Refuse to be average. Let your heart soar as high as it will.”..........AW Tozer

Bill

Comment

“Refuse to be average. Let your heart soar as high as it will.”..........AW Tozer

Bill

Comment

I don't use CO2 or fertilizer or anything; the research I've done says it isn't necessary for some of the hardier plants- is that true? PS Bill that tank looks great I think I may look into adding some sort of special substrate for my sand.

Comment

Are you just using sand? Then that may be your problem. Freshwater plants like that nice juicy substrate

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
            240g FOWLR - complete!, WIP 125g reef/inverts, WIP 30g/20g mantis.

Comment

Who doesn't like juicy substrate lol!
              Stay Salty

Comment

Re: Re: Plants keep dying! Established tank, what's going o

Originally posted by Stingray2182
                You had to go there didn't you.

Sent from my SM-P600 using Tapatalk
                75 Gallon mixed reef, Trigger Systems Ruby 30S, Lifereef SVS3-24 Skimmer, Eheim 1262, 2x AI Vega LED Lights, 2x Jebao RW-8 powerheads

Comment

http://www.aquaticplantcentral.com/f...on-talbot.html

I have the clay and other minerals you need in this recipe

http://t.petco.com/product/111998/Ec...Substrate.aspx

I would be happy to help

Bill

Comment

http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...ad.php?t=72382

Bill

Comment

Re: Re: Plants keep dying! Established tank, what's going o

Originally posted by mlott132
                      Originally posted by Stingray2182
                      You had to go there didn't you.

Sent from my SM-P600 using Tapatalk
                      Oh come on you thought it too
                      Stay Salty

Comment

Are you sure it is fully established, cycled, it seems in aquariums that are not 100% cycled, any plants (macros) added seem to die. i'd check ammonia and nitrite also just to be safe.
                        Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCaCRPO ... 5yhtmfzuLw

Comment

If you don't have a full kit i can definitely lend you test kits. (phosphate, potassium, nitrite, ammonia, magnesium, etc. )

Comment

Thanks a lot guys!

Aspidochelone I swear it's been up for 2- 3 years! XD I should steal your kits anyways, I need to test again since I added two more angelfish. PS the frag fest was so great! I'm glad I'm a member I would love to go to more events like that! Beautiful corals!

I don't have any different substrate but sand- is it better to purchase liquid fertilizer or tabs or just add some special substrate which I can totally get for the 60 but the one that is at my pet store is black or brown and I also wanted to plant the 20- which has white sand. So how would I "juicify" the substrate there? I may just get tabs for that one and add some mineralized/ fertilized gravel to the large tank.

Comment

did you happen to put any antibiotics or any chemical in your aquarium in the past couple months/year? (just trying to narrow it down)

Comment

Working...
                              X